View single post by Reg H
 Posted: Mon Apr 16th, 2018 09:16 pm
PMQuoteReplyFull Topic
Reg H



Joined: Sun Oct 19th, 2014
Location: Shelton, USA
Posts: 1023
Status: 
Offline
All the track at the west end has now been laid and all rail joints soldered.  Though I have a bit of a problem with the joints.  I purchased a flux advertised as "non-corrosive".  Not exactly.  I am going to have to take a brush in my Dremel and clean up about half of the rail joints. I caught on and switched to  a rosin core solder after doing about half of the joints.

I am bowing to the expedient and using "suitcase" crimp fittings for the power feeders.  Previously I used terminal strips for each length of track.  But that didn't include this part of the previous layout.  When you start talking about 22 connections, the idea of using terminal strips loses it's appeal. 

This area had originally been wired for cab control and I simply spliced the DCC into the power bus for the control panel and switched all the toggles to "Cab A".  I had forgotten that I did that.  The real bonus is that last night I cut out all that 18 gauge wire and now have a vast supply to use as feeders. 

All the turnouts are now equipped with the "finger flick" switch machines.  See the photo below.  I ran across this idea on the FastTracks web site.  They seem to work quite well.  Final verdict after some operational time.  Construction is easy, obviously.  Each one takes about 10 minutes to bend up and adjust.  

I only had to do this for the Atlas turnouts.  The ME turnouts have a spring built in.






I couldn't find a way to delete the old image.


Reg

Last edited on Thu Apr 19th, 2018 04:10 am by Reg H



____________________
Reg
Close Window