View single post by Reg H
 Posted: Mon Jul 20th, 2020 05:28 pm
PMQuoteReplyFull Topic
Reg H



Joined: Sun Oct 19th, 2014
Location: Shelton, USA
Posts: 995
Status: 
Offline
 
Work on the layout slowed down a bit,
as I spent some time in the machine shop working on the Stuart 10V vertical steam engine. 
That project is coming along, but it is a major learning experience. 

However, Summer hit this weekend after a lengthy wet and cool Spring. 
The sudden appearance, with no time to aclimate, of mid-80's weather was a bit of a shock.

So I have been conducting my outdoor activities early and cowering in the basement during the hottest parts of the day. 
With the result that some progress has been made on the Railroad Hotel.





This is the back side. 
It took me decades to learn to do the least visible assemblies first,
before tackling those features that will be front and center. 

There has been some angst on roof treatment. 
The Idaho Hotel kit comes with roll roofing. 
I wasn't enamored of that.  

I decided that the most appropriate would be cedar shingles. 
They would be very typical of the era in which the structure would originally have been built,
and still appropriate for current times as they are very common here in the Pacific Northwest.  

The first shingles I ordered were not satisfactory. 
They were quite expensive, were pre-finished, and looked ghastly.

The second round is much better. 

They are from an "off" company
(I will provide the name when I am back in the model shop) 
Not somebody I recognize, but look quite good. 

The random length/random width would be more typical of the 19th Century than modern. 
Modern cedar shakes are machine processed so are more uniform. 
But I like the more random effect. 
Plus, it is not so obvious if a row or two get out of alignment. 

I thought I was ordering self-stick shingles.  But was pleased to find these are not. 
I have not had universal success with self-stick building pieces. 
I almost always seem to have to do some extensive re-gluing after a year or two.  

The manufacturer recommended glue-stick. 
I tried that here on the back side.  Not a good plan. 
The following day I found myself re-gluing shingles. 

I got quite a bit more done after this photo was taken, but I used white glue instead of the glue-stick. 
It adds to the tedium, but I am pretty sure I won't be having to re-glue any of those shingles. 

These look pretty raw, like brand new shingles.  I am going to try some experiments with stain. 
I need to be sure the stain won't loosen the glue-stick shingles,
or curl any individual shingles to which adhesive was not applied, which is typical of the white-glued shingles. 
I tended to just spread glue on the common strip.


We have a bit more warm weather forecast,
so perhaps more progress will be made in the next couple of days.

Perhaps I will post some photos of the vertical steam engine in the "Other Topics" section.

Reg




____________________
Reg
Close Window