Freerails Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Freerails > Model Railroad Forums > General Talk - Off Topic > The times --they are a-changing.

Freerails IS ACCEPTING new Members ... To join Freerails ... See how to Register as a Member in the 'Joining Freerails' Forum

The times --they are a-changing.
 Moderated by: . Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2012 02:54 am
   
1st Post
hicountryscratcher
Registered


Joined: Thu Aug 9th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 80
Status: 
Offline
 

 Any one miss the days when cities and towns, stores and business of all kinds decorated for Christmas? The towns hung garlands from side to side across the streets had lights on the poles. Stores almost ALL had something , lights , displays, or at leaset the windows painted with a scene or some Christmas greeting------ remember? Now I realize a lot of the reason for that was merchandising to help sales etc.  I am also aware that cities and towns are all struggeling to keep the lights on and the roads fixed , but the cesseation of the Christmas ammenities came quite a bit before the depre--- uh--uh--- recession , So I can only think that a good deal of it was due to the business's realizing that we were trained -- kind of like a house broken pet-- so no effort on thier part was needed anymore.

 Here is an example of what USED to happen at Christmas~!




  I wrapped a bank on the Toole Springs and Western RR a few years back  in a very similar fashion. If any one would like to see that , ask and I will try to find the pics of it.

  Dave



____________________
instant glue?--- SOLDER----- NOW THATS INSTANT!
Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2012 11:47 am
   
2nd Post
Dwayne
Registered


Joined: Mon Mar 19th, 2007
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA
Posts: 1059
Status: 
Offline
In 1917 the tax burden in the US on business and people was almost nothing. Those were the last days of capitalism. Since then government has grown and with it the demand that the individual and people turn over more of their money (aka: property) to sate the hunger of a dictatorial government. We the tax livestock have no control over the government we created.

Please post photos if you have them. Anything that we can see that reminds of us a better era can only be appreciated.



____________________
 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy".
Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2012 07:49 pm
   
3rd Post
hicountryscratcher
Registered


Joined: Thu Aug 9th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 80
Status: 
Offline
Dwayne wrote: In 1917 the tax burden in the US on business and people was almost nothing. Those were the last days of capitalism. Since then government has grown and with it the demand that the individual and people turn over more of their money (aka: property) to sate the hunger of a dictatorial government. We the tax livestock have no control over the government we created.

Please post photos if you have them. Anything that we can see that reminds of us a better era can only be appreciated.


 I am not convinced that income tax is the sole or even main reason that Christmas decorations have declined in the last 25 years or so---- Taxes have alway been with us in one form or another.

 I did find the pictures you wanted --here they are .

















 

 


 



____________________
instant glue?--- SOLDER----- NOW THATS INSTANT!
Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2012 08:07 pm
   
4th Post
Bernd
Registered
 

Joined: Wed Jul 18th, 2012
Location: New York USA
Posts: 842
Status: 
Offline
I think it's more having to do with saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas if you get my drift.:f:

Bernd

Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2012 08:49 pm
   
5th Post
hicountryscratcher
Registered


Joined: Thu Aug 9th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 80
Status: 
Offline
Bernd wrote: I think it's more having to do with saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas if you get my drift.:f:

Bernd


 I understand exactly what you mean Bernd, BUT  Even when there were still decorations put out , "Seasons Greetings" --"Happy Holidays" were seen as often as not -- I do not think it is a matter of PC , just lack of effiort and concern that we sheep won't part with our loot any way.

  Did You like our Bank?? Frank Burke and I did that on the sly to surprise the S.N.O.B.'s at our annual CHRISTMAS PARTY --- errr --- ummm --- ahhhh --- holiday get together .

 Dave



____________________
instant glue?--- SOLDER----- NOW THATS INSTANT!
Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2012 09:14 pm
   
6th Post
Dwayne
Registered


Joined: Mon Mar 19th, 2007
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA
Posts: 1059
Status: 
Offline
Cool pics. What scale was the display done?

I'm definitely the least PC person in the world, but since I'm a Deist I only say Happy Holidays. Pisses my mother (a Christian) off enough where she'll no longer speak to me. Of course she's 85 years old and she's of the opinion I'm an asshole... which is pretty much on the mark. :)



____________________
 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy".
Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2012 09:27 pm
   
7th Post
hicountryscratcher
Registered


Joined: Thu Aug 9th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 80
Status: 
Offline
 The Toole Springs And Western was an HO layout. It was featured in MRC magazine twice --not sure when --probably the 80's sometime.

  Dave



____________________
instant glue?--- SOLDER----- NOW THATS INSTANT!
Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2012 09:35 pm
   
8th Post
hicountryscratcher
Registered


Joined: Thu Aug 9th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 80
Status: 
Offline
Dwayne wrote: Cool pics. What scale was the display done?

I'm definitely the least PC person in the world, but since I'm a Deist I only say Happy Holidays. Pisses my mother (a Christian) off enough where she'll no longer speak to me. Of course she's 85 years old and she's of the opinion I'm an asshole... which is pretty much on the mark. :)


 Dwayne,

 Being an American Indian which makes me either a Deist or a Heathen depending on your point of view,  I would pontificate just a bit --- IF your mom is 85 try to make enough allowances that you two will communicate again -- won't be long till she is gone and no point in living with a regret from there foward. :time:

   Dave



____________________
instant glue?--- SOLDER----- NOW THATS INSTANT!
Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2012 11:29 pm
   
9th Post
W C Greene
Moderator


Joined: Fri May 4th, 2007
Location: Royse City, Texas USA
Posts: 8145
Status: 
Offline
POE-LITTICAL !! Man, am I glad ya'll don't want to know what we think down here in Tejas. The prelude of "the times they are a changing"..." is "you'd better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone..."

The original Outlaw troublemaker



____________________
It doesn't matter if you win or lose, its' how you rig the game.
Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2012 11:36 pm
   
10th Post
hicountryscratcher
Registered


Joined: Thu Aug 9th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 80
Status: 
Offline
W C Greene wrote: POE-LITTICAL !! Man, am I glad ya'll don't want to know what we think down here in Tejas. The prelude of "the times they are a changing"..." is "you'd better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone..."

The original Outlaw troublemaker


 I am just surprised that Woodie Guthrie didn't beat Bob Dylan to it!! Probably made Pete Seeger envious too!

 Dave



____________________
instant glue?--- SOLDER----- NOW THATS INSTANT!
Back To Top


 Current time is 04:33 pm
Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

Freerails > Model Railroad Forums > General Talk - Off Topic > The times --they are a-changing.
Top



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems