Here are some pics of the progress with the private coal train I am building.
The first shows the addition of discarded toy market dunny seat couplers for the intermediate connections. Kadees are at each end of the rake but neither are correct as they were hook coupled.
The second shows the pile of styrene further advanced
It will be good to see them running, however they used distinctive brake vans, the wagons being unbraked, so a couple of them might be the next project. These wagons were used on mines close to the coast so the grades were slight, braking was done by the loco and 1 or 2 brake vans at the rear plus the setting of a certain number of yard brakes on the wagons while running down hill. They originally fueled much of the west coast of the USA during the gold rush.
Bob D wrote: Bob, What exactly do the letters represent?
Looks like you had a good time building them.
Hi Bob ,the letters identify the mine that the load came from and in conjunction with the number and some other letters told the operators at the unloading site the coal capacity of the wagon.
e.g. A stood for Aberdare, B for J&A Brown, CC for Caledonia, H for Hebburn etc.
By the time I am modelling almost all mines were under one or two companies.
The coal companies in the Hunter Valley used crane unloading in the river initially so the usual coal hopper that emptied to the side above a ship at a jetty wasn't ideal.
One company came up with the removable bin with a bottom hatch and had them initially made in the UK. Of course such an idea is hard to keep secret so they were suddenly appearing in other places. :>
Interesting. Were the planks on the ends removable in order to get the coal out or did they have to shovel out the contents over the sides? I find it fascinating how engineers determine when it's necessary to use different materials like wood instead of steel.
Bob D wrote: Interesting. Were the planks on the ends removable in order to get the coal out or did they have to shovel out the contents over the sides? I find it fascinating how engineers determine when it's necessary to use different materials like wood instead of steel.
Bob, the bottom was hinged and a pin pulled to release the contents over the hold of the ship.
When I first started this project I decided to build as my first steamer a small 1880's tank engine. Some of these had lasted in the 1960's as dock shunters and in private use. For a time they were fitted with cranes.
I had promised myself I would scratchbuild one decades before in HO. However it never happened so I decided to keep that promise in O gauge.
Here is the start.
And here it is with some friends.
The other tank is an even older design that we bought a few of. It was a copy of a British one and this British kit was assembled and was at a price I could not refuse even though it was not really wanted. :>
It was 3-rail when I bought it and had been masquerading as a 1/4" scale 18 class on an outdoor railway. An hours work and the skate and other wiring were removed and it was running under DCC and back to being a 7mm scale model.