ATF is used by many. I have read it is what is the Railzip bottle.
When I went outside this time I decided to re-investigate the wheel/rail contact issue. I first used a variety of oils that I knew worked tolerably well.
I also ran battery/radio for a time.
In the end I went back to the method I have used indoors for some years.
I use powdered graphite mixed with a little kerosene. I just needed a bit more than for the indoor smaller scales.
If I see any sign of hesitation I put a few dabs on the track and let the train run over it. At the worst it might take a couple of laps to do the job and that's it. Might be several days before I need to do the same thing for another loco. Going from results outside with O gauge so far, I will probably give the loco wheels a clean when the pickups and bearings need oiling.
Keep in mind I regularly run a small 4 wheel diesel critter that I have made up a 'stay alive' pack for and so far I haven't found any need to install it.
I decided to have a shunt around the sidings after some months of disuse. On that occasion I gave them a clean with some fine wet and dry and then added a few spots of powdered graphite and no issues since.
Here is a loco that might be familiar to some.
Four were imported for shunting an armaments factory during WW2 before two got more mundane duties as carriage shunters at Central in Sydney.
The 59 class progresses.
This kit is probably what some would describe as more an aid to scratchbuilding these days. Methinks principally designed for the local 3-rail market.
I am having the chassis milled to get the height closer to scale and have been altering the tender truck stretchers to suit Slaters wheels and attempting to lower the overall height some too.
Here is pic, showing the mods and the tender part way soldered up. Rivets will be decals.
Thanks guys, to be honest this kit has come close to having flying lessons a few times already. :>
I have not used the raised decals yet so can't offer any help. No doubt in time I can tell everyone what not to do !
My intention is to install them over the etch primer and give them a light coat of the finish colour to keep them in place before continuing unless I find advice to the contrary.
I also considered putting them on with thinned PVA to keep them in place until painted. I came up with that method in the 70's for doing boiler bands out of writing paper after struggling with making them out of brass and soldering them on.
Today after several days of decidedly outdoor railway unfriendly weather I gave my railmotor a spin while doing some work in the garage while the sun was out and the windchill factor was acceptable. :>
I noted it would slow, stop and then restart at two locations around the layout. No worries.. an inch of graphite on the rails dabbed in front of the railmotor as it passed me would fix it.
It certainly did instantly when it got back around to one of the spots. Not so the other.
To cut a long story short the problem at the other location was me.. I had not soldered a stock rail on one point and had been unknowingly relying on the rail joiner. After a soldering job the railmotor ran smoothly as expected for over an hour at crawl speed until I had to return inside.