Added bump stops at rail ends. For variety I made different styles. The I beam one is made from cardstock like the ash pit. Painted with acrylics with a little fine sand added for rusty texture. The wooden one is made from balsa that was ruffed up by dragging a razor saw along the wood grain. A couple bolt heads for detail. Also painted with acrylics.
Made a bunch of stumps. Started with some lilac branch and formed modeling putty around them. Textured a bit and painted with acrylics when dried. "Planted" them along front edge of layout. My excuse for not having to many foreground trees is the need to reach the rolling stock for manual coupling/uncoupling.
My first test of background is promising. I took a picture of the rear of buildings on the main street of a small town nearby. Not wanting to waste a bunch of ink I enlarged and printed it in B&W. It needs to be enlarged a bit more. I envision that I can overlay auto pictures that are of the correct vintage etc. Once I find suitable scenes I will have the pictures done at Kinkos or similar shop.
Any experts that want to guide me will be welcomed. I take criticism quite well.
I lost my internet access for a few days and am just catching up...
I think that the beams above ARE perfect. I also model in 1/24 and know the pain of finding details. The background will be good I think. I'm absorbing all of your posts, like a sponge soaking up water... Please continue.
One of the most important details is people. I bought the Henry Ford three person set recently. These look the part for 1949 dress. Will need another 20 or 30 folks to adequately populate the layout. It is difficult to find appropriate figures and they are always costly. Wish I had the skill to create my own.
My grandfather and his brother had a small trucking company way back when. He also drove Hudsons. I added grandpa and his Hudson by Alexander Shipping Co.
I'm experimenting with casting my own figures out of hot glue. First the molds have to be made, from silicone, then the glue... This is being done on the cheap, hopefully regular high temp silicone caulk will work for the mold and I already know the glue will work for the subject.
I have two of the sets of 'Henry Ford' figures and intend to experiment with them for casting. The heads are interchangeable, so I may be able to get some variety out of them. Adding body parts from some of the Chinese resin figures is also a possibility.
This background shot was only a test. I will need a more expansive scene and will have to adjust the camera angle to have the view to the horizon go off in the right direction. In this view the road is not aligned with my foreground structures correctly. I envision some foreground trees and fencing to disguise the rear edge of the layout and add three dimension to the scene.
All doable and the time of year is about right for foliage. Need to start looking for photo sights and the right time of day and weather.
Ken, Will be interested how your casting effort turns out. I have had moderate success in casting, although I have not tried anything with 4 sides. I have cast car side frames, engine side frames and split barrels etc using Woodland Scenic's liquid mold. I used two part epoxy resin. Hard part is getting the bubbles out.
The picture is of engines I made with cast side frames. I made the master with styrene.
Bob, I just have to tell you that your layout is tops! I have always believed that "narrower is betterer" and you got it right. If I wasn't so hung up on the 2 foot line that I have loved for so long, I would go Gn15. Really fantastic work. One thing I'd have to build is a 15" gauge Shay...the Bachmann On30 lokie would translate just fine...Awww, I gotta git, I can't stand it!!!!!
____________________ It doesn't matter if you win or lose, its' how you rig the game.