Today I made a couple trash cans and some empty bottles to clutter the "back alley" of the latest building. Clutter sure takes time.
The trash cans are made from the caps off pump hairspray bottles. I wrapped them with the corrugated coffee cup insulaters. Then added paper strips around top and bottom edges. Lid was also made with paper.
Bottles are made from the clear plastic sprues from a model car kit.
In addition to the construction of the many differing parts of Geneseo Railway I have been operating it daily. I am using a car card system with the various industries/businesses on each car card. I use a paperclip to mark the destination. Usually I will select five or six card numbers at random and move them to the next destination on the card. Moving five or six will generally take about 15 to 20 minutes. For longer sessions I move more cars and/or invoke rules that complicate the session. Rules may include such requirements as servicing the engine, requiring the engine to move forward from one side to the other which means turning on turntable, and pulling all cars from one side to the other. Another process is to work each side with a seperate engine and move two trains rather than working both sides with one engine. Of course two operators can work simultaneously and coordinate the movement from one side to the other over the single connecting track.
Switches are manually thrown by the ground throws. The turntables are manually turned (armstrong). Coupling and uncoupling are manual as well. No track magnets here although I did have to use a tape deck head demagnetizer on some chains and uncoupling tools.
Manually operating everything really adds to the enjoyment of operations as well as simplifying construction. Along with the fact that this railway is dead rail it also eliminates problems that plague many model railroads.
My simple couplers and tool is pictured. I learned right away that a clear reach to all sidings was needed. Placement of buildings, trees etc has to consider big fat hands.
Howdy Bob, yes I know how "fat hands" can mess things up while operating. My link & pin couplers (even after years of use) are still a pain in the a$$ to operate but I wouldn't have it any other way. Besides, the cost of converting all to knuckle automatics (and the work) ain't in my program!
I love those chain couplers and the simple tool is great. I use tweezers, several are scattered around the layout wherever switching is involved. Keep up the great work.
____________________ It doesn't matter if you win or lose, its' how you rig the game.