I have been doing a lot of thinking. The heat in Texas has been too hot to work on anything in the garage. I will post some pics of what I've been thinking about. I have a twice around micro layout I started a few years ago in hon30. I got it down last night and pondered changing it to 1/35. Trying to decide if it will be 15" gauge (n scale track) or stay with 2' gauge (ho scale track). I will try to update with some pictures tonight for some opinions.
Sounds like a fun exercise. In reality, two foot has more prototypes I guess, but 15" is just plain fun... Can't wait to see what you decide. Pictures when you can. I can't quite visualize the conversion process.
I couldn't pick between two foot and 15" so I have both on the layout.
The loco started off as one of those Yugoslavia switchers found at another yard sale. Not sure of the brand. Deltang, cell phone battery, pancake motor out of a tape player, some printer gears. I use the old phone as the battery charger. I made longer axels from one of my sons broken toys to add sprockets and a chain. That changed it from a 2WD to a 4X4.
Not sure about the Alamo layout. I might try to combine the two. I'm just a poor country boy. I use what I can find with out spending much money. I will post some pics of the loco's guts if interested.
It looks like an old MODEL POWER WDT or MDT switcher. These were not the most expensive locos ever (Caboose Hobbies sold them for $4.95 a few years back!) but they did run quite well. They had one axle driven but had a traction tire so they could actually pull something. Over the years, I have seen many cool critters made from them...I have one in a box, maybe someday...naaaw, I love my old Shays & Porters!
____________________ It doesn't matter if you win or lose, its' how you rig the game.
This picture you can see the on off switch and the charging pins. The pins were scrapped from a old computer board.
Here you can see the phone battery and tape player motor. The Deltang is wrapped in the yellow heat shrink. The brass tabs in the back are contacts for the headlight. I might redo that one day.
A shot of underneath. The gear on the axle come from a junk printer. Slowed it down. You can see the charging pins and switch better. A couple of fishing weights epoxied opposite of the battery. Made some brass bushing for the axles to ride in. Those are the wheels it came with. No groove for a rubber band.
This is my hi tech charging set up. The lead from the computer fan is soldered to the battery pins on the phone. When you plug up the critter to charge it, the phone shows you the charging status.
The battery came loose. I used silicone so I could remove it. I need to stick it back down so the body doesn't sit sideways.