Freerails Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Freerails > Model Railroad Forums > D.C.C. Electrical & Sound > Inexpensive programmer suggestions?

Because of non-railroad abuse of the site, new members MUST use their first names (at least) to join NO EXCEPTIONS!

Inexpensive programmer suggestions?
 Moderated by: Si.
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 19th, 2017 08:22 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Eric T
Registered
 

Joined: Wed Jan 18th, 2017
Location: Graham, Washington USA
Posts: 21
Status: 
Offline
My layout's controller is a Bachmann E-Z Command;  For those that don't know it's a VERY basic system that can run up to 10 trains, but aside from changing addresses and normal direction of travel it can't really program them.

My newest locomotive could use some starting voltage and speed adjustments, and rather than buy a new system, I'm wondering if there's an inexpensive programmer I can purchase?

My own research has led me to the SPROG IIv3, which costs about $100 and connects a programming track to a computer with a point-and-click interface.  Can anybody give me their opinions on this system or advise an even cheaper alternative?


-Eric

Last edited on Thu Jan 19th, 2017 08:22 pm by Eric T

Back To Top

 Posted: Thu Jan 19th, 2017 10:04 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
NathanO
Registered
 

Joined: Tue Jan 24th, 2012
Location: Spring Branch [north Of San Antonio], Texas USA
Posts: 243
Status: 
Offline
Everyone is going to have a 'favorite'. For once in a while changes the Sprog is fine.

For more advanced you might look at JMRI and a system such as the NCE Power Cab or some similar system.

http://jmri.org/

Nathan

Back To Top

 Posted: Thu Jan 19th, 2017 11:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Eric T
Registered
 

Joined: Wed Jan 18th, 2017
Location: Graham, Washington USA
Posts: 21
Status: 
Offline
NathanO wrote: Everyone is going to have a 'favorite'. For once in a while changes the Sprog is fine.

For more advanced you might look at JMRI and a system such as the NCE Power Cab or some similar system.

http://jmri.org/

Nathan

Good, once in a while changes are what I'm after.

Once I make the adjustments I think my E-Z Command will continue to suit my needs. 

And the SPROG also uses JMRI if I ever feel like expanding.

Back To Top

 Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2017 08:25 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Robert Comerford
Registered
 

Joined: Thu Feb 14th, 2013
Location: Glen Innes, Australia
Posts: 543
Status: 
Offline
Nothing wrong with the sprog Eric but you could pick up a s/h Digitrax dcs50 (the zephyr)for less money on feebay and have a much better system on hand if you want it later.

e.g. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zephyr-Digitrax-Command-Control-All-In-One-Set-in-Original-Box-/172484285986?hash=item2828dd5622:g:af8AAOSwImRYd8EU

regards
BobC

Back To Top

 Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2017 12:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Peter H
Registered
 

Joined: Tue Dec 27th, 2016
Location: Clifton Park, New York USA
Posts: 14
Status: 
Offline
Do you have any friends with a full DCC system?  See if they will help you do the programming and keep using your EZ Command.

Peter

Back To Top

 Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2017 10:50 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Eric T
Registered
 

Joined: Wed Jan 18th, 2017
Location: Graham, Washington USA
Posts: 21
Status: 
Offline
Robert Comerford wrote: Nothing wrong with the sprog Eric but you could pick up a s/h Digitrax dcs50 (the zephyr)for less money on feebay and have a much better system on hand if you want it later.

e.g. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zephyr-Digitrax-Command-Control-All-In-One-Set-in-Original-Box-/172484285986?hash=item2828dd5622:g:af8AAOSwImRYd8EU

regards
BobC

Not bad, I see the final prices have been as low as $63 in the last few months.

Back To Top

 Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2017 10:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Eric T
Registered
 

Joined: Wed Jan 18th, 2017
Location: Graham, Washington USA
Posts: 21
Status: 
Offline
Peter H wrote: Do you have any friends with a full DCC system?  See if they will help you do the programming and keep using your EZ Command.

Peter

Sadly I'm the only person I know of in my area who has any model trains.

Back To Top


 Current time is 04:37 am

Freerails > Model Railroad Forums > D.C.C. Electrical & Sound > Inexpensive programmer suggestions?
Top



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems