If you would like to try a different type of rock scenery.
Take a look at "Foam Rocks Frocks", I use this method myself, tearing foam stuffing, old foam seems to work better then the new foam I've collected from furniture dumpsters.
As a matter of a fact I saw Landrel Brown's youtube video using that method which looked good, but it still didn't yield the look I wanted. I prefer the results from rupheandtumbelles method using extruded foam, though my effort fell a bit short of my goal.
Last edited on Sat Apr 8th, 2017 11:30 pm by Gary I
Doctor G wrote: I too liked the look of carved foam rocks. Here is an early construction photo from The Original Kittom Logging Company:
Doc Tom Nice, looks very organic Dr. G! Another thing I like about foam rocks is the fact they don't add any weight to the layout, though you do have to be careful not to allow anything to damage them. Still, I think they're worth the risk and should be of special interest with modular builders.
As backdrops go I think backdrops are a very important part of conveying the scene -- they need to be there, but should not be so overpowering so as to distract from the scene itself. I've watched a number of youtube videos and read a lot about backdrop techniques before settling on my approach which is essentially copied from the Olympia project layout Model Railroader Video Plus session, part 12. (I'm a devoted subscriber).
Oh, did I mention that I'm squarely in the primate class of modellers? i.e. monkey see, monkey do?
So except for not using a curved backdrop (trying to keep things simple for my first layout) and for using rattle-cans for painting (since I didn't have an airbrush two months ago when I painted the backdrop) I essentially followed the painting technique presented there. I started by cutting several templates of distant conifer tree lines out of cardboard and taped on a small blocks of foam core so that the templates stood-off from the backdrop when spray painting (softens the harsh edges). I painted the entire backdrop a light sky blue then spray painted several layers of overlapping tree lines, going from lighter green for "distant" trees to darker green for closer trees. I refrained from attempting to paint individual trees -- I'm hoping the trees on the layout will suffice. I finished off the backdrop by adding a few ubiquitous cumulous clouds.
Here's a shot of the cardboard cut-outs used for the tree lines.
And below is a shot of the backdrop which can also be seen in some early photos in the thread. It certainly was a simple process. Overall I think it turned out OK, but as always would likely have have improved with more practice and if I had used an airbrush. I would have also liked to have a wider range of colours to chose from...finding different shades of green in rattle can spray paint is harder than it might seem.