The smaller Servo-Link chain is acetyl and the larger Tamiya chain is Delrin or similar.
Both can be glued but there as some provisos...
So far the best results have been obtained with 2 part superglues. These have a primer and a the glue - BUT...
The bond is brittle and any sharp sideways impact will shear the bond. In a straight pull situation the bond appears to be OK.
The results obtained with solvent type glues for styrene were disappointing. and the 2 contact adhesives we tried were unsuccessful.
BTW - if you try to glue anything to chains like these, ensure that you de-point your sprockets so that you don't push off the bit that you have glued to the chain. We learned this one the hard way.
Unanderra in oz
I have sold about 12 belt drive chassis and complete conversions in the past year, all of these are 2 stage reduction. They run at a high speed (about 1 foot per second) and while low speed operation is ok it is probably not good enough for a train. I originally looked at 3 stage reduction but shelved it due to complexity.
Well, now after a year of designs it does not look that difficult so I un-shelved it and am about to order 3D prints to make it work. I know there is a long way from drawings to a working train so this is probably not the final version but it looks good.
Final drive is dual belts for improved power capacity. My typical motor is a RC car motor so that would be replaced with something milder.
Last edited on Fri Jun 30th, 2017 03:33 pm by bobquincy
____________________ Monorail modelers have a one track mind.