Oh, I'm awful at it Doug, but practice makes perfect, right?
I tried my hand at an old HO scale kit to make a Y switch on my last layout and that worked okay once I extended the catch/check rails.
I then tried to make a 3 way switch and royally buggered that up! In the end I ended up replacing the whole centre module of the layout to get rid of it! :D
I plan on hand building all the turnouts on my upcoming O scale layout, so I'll be buying in some track spikes and such and hand laying all the track too. I've already got all the rails and the ties, I just need to wait until my fellow modeller Ford finishes building the benchwork so we know exactly what space we have to work with.
So far, we've got a pair of 3'x2' boards made, and need to get two more done before we can go any further.
This afternoon I've attacked the structures with weathering powders, and painted the stone foundation on the section house, though the camera makes it look a little more yellow than it is in reality.
The storage shed needs the door hinges and such adding on so it can be opened, and a detailed interior adding. Might take a little while to do that though, as I'm not sure what detail parts to go for yet.
Lots more work to do, but lots of time to do it! :D
Though I've been quiet on the progress front, progress HAS been made. I've not done much as I've been working on freight cars for my O scale layout, Piedmont Blues.
Still, I have managed to apply ground cover and get a basic coat of brown paint down over the top of it. Ignore the patch of white glue, I had to do some repairs as I knocked it and damaged some of the ground cover. D'oh!
The plan is to build up the ground cover and get that to a workable state before I start laying rail on the ties, that way I can get the details down right before I have the rails getting in the way! :D