It was perhaps too quick, almost a bridge too far...
I am building an 8' retaining wall where I made a cut in backfill along the house to make room for the trestle.
It was sliding severely so it had to be done, although it really had nothing to do with the trains per say.
I have realized I need to re-engineer track layout in the freight yard area.
Not a lot of work pulling up the existing track, but I am stuck with 6-7 R3 switches.
Note: the MTH BigBoy is rated for R3 curves, and does work with them, but it cannot handle R3 switches.
It tries to ride up the inside guard rail and proceeds to derail.
So I have to replace them with R5 switches.
Other than that it went better than expected.
Got interested in G gauge last winter, started to build the control and battery boxcars in April,
and am about to finish up the 1st phase of the setup in a few more weeks.
About 7 mores days for the 2nd concrete tunnel to cure, then a few more days building a "mountain" over the two of them.
Yes, in fact I have concerns about derailment in general.
There will always be a struggle with debris on the tracks, its rugged country with pine cones, leaves, etc. blowing all over the place.
And most places the edge includes a sizeable drop.
You'll notice that I made the planks of that curve fairly wide,
wide enough that the nose of the BigBoy never extends beyond the edge when going thru the curve.
This will allow me to add a fairly simple guard rail by merely tacking up some sort of band like cedar lawn edging.
The mountain has been added. Will make it taller next year... Have cast concrete portals and am currently curing them. Have purchased some nice tile to decorate them, then all thats left is to glue them up!