I was a carpenter in a previous life, it's all in the planning.
I had turboCAD blueprints from which I cut/milled everything in the wood shop.
I assembled each trestle in the shop and then hauled to the site with the 4 wheel drive tractor.
Track planks and guard rails were done in a similar manner.
It took four days from starting the mill work to finishing the complete bridge.
It's perhaps too flat.
I'm thinking I should have made about a 1/2" crown in the center to help drainage.
I expect I'm going to end up drilling a series of drain holes along the length...
Now the concrete pads were another matter, they took several weeks of hell to complete.
I just spent over 4 hours yesterday fixing a section of fence
that the local moose had trampled down.
They leave very big paw prints!
Last outdoor project is to survey the entire remaining track.
I used the transit to place reference stakes for the LA/San hose/SF/Sacramento/trestle runs yesterday.
Will put grade/line stakes in every 8' over next several days.
After meltdown next Spring I will go in with a chainsaw to remove all trees in a 6' wide path,
then stump grinder to grind/level to 1" below grade stakes.
This will allow me to pour a 1.5" concrete trackbed the entire length.
This Winter's goal is to finish assembling about 30-40 of my switch motors,
and a half dozen or so of the RFID readers for block occupancy control.
I assume I will also do a fair amount of 3D-printing.
Since the average snow fall up here is over a foot,
and a single storm can reach 4-5' (lived thru a 7' storm once)
a prototype plow extra would be useless from a practical point of view.
I'm thinking I need to make a human powered "snow shovel"
that has bearings to run on the tracks,
and which has about 10# of weights to hold it down.
Add a brush on the rear to wipe it clean as I go.