View single post by Alwin
 Posted: Sun Aug 2nd, 2020 09:02 pm
PMQuoteReplyFull Topic
Alwin



Joined: Sat Jun 29th, 2013
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 635
Status: 
Offline
 
I tried some techniques for a plastered wall.
Not the fine stuff for in your house, but more a cement look.

The next bunch of photo's are just some practice pieces.


I start with blue foam. The kind of fine insulation foam type.
I bought mine at a craft store some years ago.

They have them in sheets of all kind of thickness.
From 1 or 2mm until some cm. I use 2 or 4 mm for walls.
I prefer the 4mm in some cases, but for plastered walls 2 mm works fine too.


The thicker sheet I have of 4 cm (40 mm) is a bit different.
It is harder to get a clean cut out of it.

I use it for the base of my diorama.
I used it also for the other two diorama's I made in the past.


So, this is my practice piece:





First a base layer of grey paint.

The technique for applying it is to stamp the pencil to the foam.
That gives a bit of a texture to the paint.





And my other practice piece with a bit lighter base color.





I tried with a course brush to stamp the second layer on.

I was hoping the first layer showed through but it didn't.
The texture was not really to my taste to try dry-brushing it.

Well, this was the result.





Time to think about the paint technique.
I also wanted to try if representing a crack in the plaster is possible.


One of the practice pieces had a small triangle in it.
I gently pushed the foam a bit apart, like in folding a piece of cardboard.
It cracked really nice actually.

It doesn't matter it the piece is not completely flat afterwards,
it is simple to bend it back and hold in place with a piece of wood or something.

The crack is seen in the photo above.


After some black paint in the crack:





I tried some washes on the paint, but the result was still a bit disappointing.





It doesn't get any better does it? The best thing, it is a practice piece.





Trying to get a different texture.

In an eureka moment I thought about using a sanding drum normally used in a power tool (Dremel).





That looks promising!

After the baselayer. Trying to keep the paint thin and thus the texture open.





This time with drybrushing a darker shade of grey on the base layer.





Some weathering try-outs.

Some enamels I tried didn't work so well.
It is hard to get the correct "streaking" effect with it on the foam.


Also some powders are used.

At the bottom and side some experiment in representing mosses.
On the side with a powder at the bottom with two slimy grime enamel paints.





This turned out more or less the way I want it.


I wondered if it also would be possible to represent concrete with it.
I mean the kind where the board-pattern of the formwork is a bit visible.

Maybe with two piece of coarse wood pressing it in the wood.
One after one, so you don't get any overlap.

I will try that out somewhere in the future.

Alwin


Close Window