|View single post by oztrainz|
|Posted: Mon Nov 23rd, 2020 03:50 am||
Hi Ken, all
Capstan use is most unlikely given that the screens were known
to have been gravity shunted since they were built in 1890.
This is as close as we have been able to get to a prototype track arrangement,
based on descriptions in newspapers and books.
The route of the 3' gauge stone disposal track is a "best guess".
No photos of it are known to exist.
Standard gauge tracks from top:
Bypasses the screens and allows the loco to feed empty wagons,
to the 3 empty standage tracks to the west of the screens at left.
Lump Coal Road
This was most of the business pre-WW2 and could be fed,
from any of the 3 empty standage tracks via the double-slip.
Small Coal and Dirt Roads under the screens
Could only be fed from the lower empty standage road,
but wagons under the Small Coal and Dirt chutes,
filled at a much slower rate than wagons under the lump coal chute.
The last photo at -
Shows the full standage sidings just east of the sceeens,
with Brokers Nose in the background at left centre.
The empty standage tracks continue around the curve beyond the screens.
These empty standage tracks had to be hacked into the side of the mountain.
The earlier Brookers Nose Colliery may be in the haze at top right.
This mine entrance had been replaced by the later Daylight Mine by the time of our model.
That later Daylight Mine entrance dating from 1895 is just out of shot to the left of Brokers Nose.
The 2' gauge tramway between the Daylight Mine and the incline leading down from,
the Brookers Nose Mine the screens that form the basis of our model was still to be built.
The trigger for building the tramway was an underground fire and subsequent flooding events,
from a fault area that cut the powered underground haulage between the 2 mines,
and blocking of a planned incline with 1000 ton bin from the Daylight Mine by local residents.
This aborted proposal would have had a new standard gauge track,
to the NSWGR government lines further south,
that then connected with their export wharf at Port Kembla.
Also notice the difference in the size of the coal in the wagons.
The left-hand track has the smaller coal from the Nut and Dirt chutes.
The right-hand track has the larger lump coal destined for the export market.
Trains of empty wagons were limited to 17 non-air-braked wagons,
after a train of 23 empty wagons overpowered the loco near the screens,
and shoved it back through the catchpoints at the start of the standage sidings in 1892.
This dinged up a nice new shiny locomotive and wrote off 6 coal hoppers.
I'll cover the Brookers Nose/Brokers Nose conundrum some time soon,
when we get to that part of the layout.
But at present we're still at the Water Tank.
Unanderra in oz