View single post by Ray Dunakin
 Posted: Sat Oct 27th, 2012 12:03 am
PMQuoteReplyFull Topic
Ray Dunakin

 

Joined: Wed Jul 25th, 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1242
Status: 
Offline
Here's the latest update...

I finished the side panels on the cab, the ones with the curved opening. I had to redo the first one four times before I got it to come out right. Anyway, then I installed the trim and bracing on the inside. The trim around the curved part was cut from sheet styrene. The other parts are from strips:




This is how the body looks so far. I beefed up the windshield frame, finished the side and rear window frames, added interior bracing, and some exterior trim:




The firewall and windshield frame are now thicker and more detailed:




Inside the firewall/floorboard area, I created a slot-like structure which will be used to hold the steering column:




The rear of the body, with the new window frames and trim. I still have to make hinges and handles for the rear door:




The steering column had to be modified due to the fact that the cab must be removable. I used brass tube to replace the kit's steering column, bending it at an angle. The upright portion will be glued into the firewall, leaving only the angled portion visible. You might wonder why a railcar needs a steering wheel at all. It doesn't, however the steering wheels were often kept in place and used as brake wheels.)




I added throttle and spark levers, made from thin brass rod:




Here's a shot of the underside of the body, showing the attachment points. Small screws will go into these points from the underside of the chassis, to hold the body in place. Also, to the left of center you can see where I cut away some of the partion so that the space under the front seat can be used to fit the battery:




This is the chassis deck, with mounts for the r/c receiver. There are two sets of holes in the mounts because I needed to move the receiver forward from where I had originally placed it. I also put up a styrene "fence" around the electronics area to prevent the wires from getting pinched between the body and the chassis. The large opening is for wiring to pass through. The smaller opening is for the on/off switch:




Here's the chassis with the receiver and battery installed:




The on/off switch has no mounting brackets, and was just hot glued into the Losi r/c car. I cut it loose, and hot glued a styrene angle to it so I could screw it onto the chassis:




Here's the on/off switch installed on the deck of the chassis:






Finally, here's an overhead shot of the battery and receiver installed in the vehicle:




At this point I'm kind of stumped. I have to find a way to put in seats and passengers, with the electronics taking up the space where their feet should be. I also need to keep it accessible. And I have to figure out how to attach the roof of the vehicle. I'd like to permanently attach the roof but I'm not sure if that will be possible. It'll depend on how I solve the seating/passenger issue.



____________________
Visit http://www.raydunakin.com to see photos of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!
Close Window